The Brevard Schools Foundation has announced its finalists for 2022 Brevard Public Schools Teacher of the Year, which include 2 teachers from North Brevard !!
The winner, along with the winners for this year’s BPS Employee and Volunteer of the Year awards, will be announced during the foundation’s annual “Applauding Brevard’s Champions” (ABC) celebration during the first week of February.
“We are delighted to honor the dedicated teachers, staff and volunteers who persevered during a tremendously challenging time,” said Janice Kershaw, president and CEO of the Brevard Schools Foundation. “This important community event recognizes the everyday heroes who are dedicated and passionate about preparing our students for the future. We applaud their inspiring commitment to the education profession.”
Each BPS school has named a teacher and employee of the year, and a committee has picked finalists. Schools have also been able to nominate a Rookie Teacher of the Year, an Emerging Teacher of the Year and a Volunteer of the Year.
The Brevard Schools Foundation will hold three invitation-only celebrations: the Employee of the Year Celebration on Feb. 1 at the Rockledge Country Club; the Teacher Summit on Feb. 2 at the Rialto Hilton, Melbourne; and the ABC Awards Gala on Feb. 3 at the Rialto Hilton, Melbourne.
Teacher of the Year Finalists
Other Teacher of the Year Finalists
Sara Murano, exceptional student education teacher at Palm Bay High Magnet School.
Lisa Rickett, math teacher at DeLaura Middle School.
Ruby Riviera, specific learning disabilities teacher from Discovery Elementary School.
Meghan Roberts, behavior specialist at Suntree Elementary School.
Employee of the Year Finalists
- Lannie Bravo, instructional assistant, McNair Magnet School.
- Pete Baxley, tech network associate, Central Middle School.
- Officer Jennifer Imperato, school resource officer, Ocean Breeze Elementary School.
- Devin Smith, cafeteria manager, Freedom 7 Elementary School.
- Jessica Diana Wangh, school secretary, Westside Elementary School.
- Christian Wright, bookkeeper, Hoover Middle School.
Rookie Teacher of the Year Finalists
- Taylor Jenkins, Cambridge Elementary Magnet School.
- Andrew West, Jackson Middle School.
- Cheyenne McCully, Cocoa Beach Jr./Sr. High School.
Emerging Teacher of the Year Finalists
- Karl Webb, Discovery Elementary School.
- Alexandria Wicker, Jackson Middle School.
Administrators of the Year Winners
The Principal’s Achievement Award for Outstanding Leadership and the Outstanding Assistant Principal Award recognizes exemplary principals and assistant principals for their contributions to their schools and communities. Awards were announced earlier in the school year and will be formally recognized during ABC Awards Week. The winners are:
- Principal Achievement Award for Outstanding Leadership: Jud Kaminski, Palm Bay Magnet High School.
- Outstanding Assistant Principal Achievement Award Denise (Catherine) Stewart, Cocoa High School.
Volunteers of the Year
Each school can select a volunteer in each category: youth, adult, and senior. The district-wide winners will be announced during ABC Awards Celebration Week